Skip to main content

St Issey CE VA Primary School - Information about SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities)

SEND reforms - September 2014

From 1 September 2014 there will be changes to the way children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) are supported.

To find out more, please look at the factsheets below.

File icon: pdf SEN information report 2017-18 [pdf 694KB] Click to download
File icon: pdf SEN Policy 2017-18 [pdf 726KB] Click to download
File icon: pdf St Issey School Offer [pdf 724KB] Click to download

SEN at St Issey School

The following information is based on guidelines from the DfE (

Some children have needs or disabilities that affect their ability to learn. These special educational needs (SEN) can include a child’s:

  • behaviour or ability to socialise
  • reading, writing and mathematics
  • ability to understand things
  • concentration levels
  • physical needs or impairments

We provide SEN support in a number of different ways:

  • We provide additional adult support during lessons or in focused Group Support to personalise learning and acquire the skills needed to make progress.
  • We encourage & value support from many outside agencies including Speech and Language therapists, Physiotherapists, Educational Psychologist (Ed Psych) and County Advisors / Support workers.

Approximately 16% of our school population have a record of need from the above categories. We can cater for pupils who have a need for School Action, School Action Plus and pupils who require an individual Educational Health Care Plan. The staff at St Issey CE VA Primary School are committed to pupils with SEN making at least as good progress as pupils with non- SEN. The progress summary for May 2014 is as follows: in Reading 27% of SEN pupils made outstanding progress, 18% making good progress; in Writing 27% of SEN pupils made outstanding progress and 9% made good progress; in Maths, 36% of SEN pupils made outstanding progress and 27% made good progress.

If you think your child may have special educational needs: e.g. your child may not be happy, may be struggling in class, is showing some behaviour issues which are cause for concern, in the first instance, you can communicate your concerns to your child’s class teacher. We encourage communication with you at all times and teachers will speak to you if they are concerned your child is not making the progress they should be in their school life. Alternatively you may also contact Mrs Wells, our Interim Headteacher.

If your child isn’t in a school or nursery, you may contact the Local Authority, your family doctor or use the link for Family Services on our website.

Further guidance is provided within our SEN Policy and our Inclusion Policy.

The Cornwall Special Needs Disability Information and Advice Support Service

Follow the link below to be directed to the homepage of this organisation